Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Two Reasons

Camp NaNoWriMo is almost half over. And guess what? Drum roll, please. I'm behind. Be-Hin-Duh. My word count is at 13,354 when it's supposed to be at 22,580. And that's fine. Because my goal wasn't to get to 50k, even if that would be awesome. My goal was to finish this rewrite.

The total count for THE LULLABY has reached 36,396 with chapter titles and 36,301 without chapter titles. These numbers are important for two reasons. The original draft of THE LULLABY was only 30,236 words and 35,000 is the halfway point to my goal of 70k.

I'm thinking I need to change my goal, however. 60k feels more appropriate for my novel and I don't think I'm even going to reach that, at least this time around. I can tell already I'm going to have to add some character development scenes for my side characters during editing.

Overall, Camp NaNo could be going better, but it could also be going worse.

What milestones have you reached lately?

10 comments:

  1. I've been behind on my current WiP too. my deadline is in about 3 weeks, I think. hopefully I'll catch up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping to gain some ground this week before school starts. I may not get all the way caught up, but I hope to get close. (And, who knows, maybe I'll finish my rewrite!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an excellent writer Brooke. The way you write is kind of like dining at a fine restaurant whereas the whole scheduled Word Count thing of NaNoWriMo is like buffet style Chuck-A-Rama. I'd go to the fine dining place way ahead of the buffet trough. That's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your analogies in your novels are as good as the ones in your compliments, you've got it made, mister. :) I've got to print that off and post it somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a sucky feeling, being behind on goals! But you sound like you're actually doing well for what you had planned on. Good luck Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always what I expect that matters, not others. Right? I wonder if that excuse will work on teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for starting. I wanted to do camp but real life camp wore me out. Maybe I should at least start and get something written on this summer novel I wanted to write. I think its going to end up being my November Nano in the end. *sigh* I miss writing.

    The kids go back to school next week though! Soon, soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet real camp was a whole lot more fun. And you know, it doesn't matter if you start the novel now, or in November, it'll be just as good either way. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you've accomplished as much as you have. I've never written with a deadline or word count in mind, so I've never disappointed myself. But I also lose out on commiserating with other participators.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The disappointment can be rough, but this is one of the sure fire ways I know to get work done.

    You should try NaNoWriMo one year, just to see if you would enjoy it. And, after all, you're a pantser, and NaNo requires a lot of that.

    ReplyDelete