Thursday, August 11, 2011

Never Feel Bad About Squashing A.N.T.s Again

Recently, I was watching the reality TV show My Strange Addiction. The woman had gone to see a therapist because she could not stop eating dryer sheets. The therapist mentioned something that stuck with me.

A.N.T. = automatic negative thought

Imagine a line of ants marching. They can be marching across your kitchen counter, the sidewalk, where ever you feel comfortable placing that line of marching ants. Now, each ant is going to represent a doubt, or an automatic negative thought, that you've had. Are you still with me? Good.

Now comes the fun part. It's time to squash those A.N.T.s. You can even give them the faces of someone you hate if you're feeling extra down. My writing sucks. Splat! I'll never find an agent. Splat! I should just stop before I embarrass myself. Splat! Rinse and repeat until all A.N.T.s are gone.

Feeling better? I thought so. :)

No formicidae were harmed during the making of this post.

8 comments:

  1. Uh ... dryer sheets? That is so bizarre! And I agree. Squash those A.N.T.s when you're feeling down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love My Strange Addiction. Some of those people are into some really bizarre things. (Like eating dryer sheets. Lol!)

    Love the idea of "squashing" all my bad thoughts. :) I'll have to give it a try the next time I'm giving myself a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were into My Strange Addiction; its a funny show, in my opinion.

    That is a good idea; I'm going to use that method whenever I'm thinking negatively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chantele She said they tasted soapy, but who likes that taste? Here's to hoping we have no reason to feel down in the first place.

    @Kristina I hope it helps you. ^^

    @Izzy I watch it when there's nothing else on. And thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea. I shall put it into place tonight by squashing the voices in my head that make me doubt myself and tell me that I suck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Michael Let me know how this works out. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. My head is infested with these ants right now. I'll try squashing them.

    My Strange Addiction is hard to watch. I saw one about a woman who ate rocks. I didn't watch the whole episode.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just think about all your recent publications, Theresa. That should swell your shoe (or hammer, whichever you prefer) to quite a nice squashing size.

    I never watched that episode, but I saw the advertisement for it.

    ReplyDelete