Thursday, December 02, 2010

Inch

It's December which means that Poetry Peak is back on. I almost forgot about it but, luckily, I remembered just in time. I already had an idea in mind so it wasn't that hard to write a poem. It came out a little more humorous than I intended. It also rhymes. I haven't written a rhyming poem in quite some time. That's probably why it turned out to be a funny poem instead of serious, as is my usual style. Now enough of my blabbering. I'm sure you're all anxious to see this poem after waiting a month (as if).

Inch

I've grown,
Can't you see,
How I am
And how I used to be
Was it just moments ago?

You may still be large
(A foot overhead)
But I prefer not to think of that
I would rather think happy instead

I'm proud of this inch
Even if it's not truly mine
The clicks are loud but that's just fine

I'll take it while it lasts
Tomorrow will put them away

Heels now in our pasts

In case you couldn't tell, this poem was about wearing heels. I got the idea when I was wearing an old pair of mine that I don't really wear that often anymore. I felt strange and sort of off, like the world was out of place, like I was out of place. Yet I still felt dignified and proud as well. The original idea was the former but, somehow, it turned toward the latter as I was writing it. Just goes to show that the writing will go where it wants.

While I've got your attention, I'm thinking about doing something called NEPMo (National Epic Poem Month). The goal is to write a 5,000 line epic poem in May. I may do it in another month but that's the month that the actual event is hosted in. I found the link on NaNoWriMo's I Wrote a Novel, Now What? page. I'll keep you posted on my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment